John W. Kenagy
MD, MPA, ScD, FACS
Books by this Speaker
This speaker's honorarium
starts within this price range:
$9,001 - $12,000
speaker inquiry form.
regarding any speaker,
please call us at
John W. Kenagy, MD, MPA, ScD, FACS
John Kenagy, MD's, message is straightforward: "Thriving in 21st century healthcare means providing more and better care at less cost. That's not just another fix; it's enduring fitness." His book, DESIGNED TO ADAPT: Leading Healthcare in Challenging Times, was the ACHE 2011 Book of the Year. His inspiring presentations show how to develop your people to deliver Ideal Patient Care and continually lower cost. That's enduring fitness for your organization!
More about this speaker:
Topics addressed by Dr. Kenagy:
- Leadership: Leaving a Legacy in Uncertain Times
- From the CEO to the Frontline: Developing People As the Number One Resource
- Quality-Centered Health Care: Act Your Way to a New Way of Thinking
- Delivering On the Promise: The Truly Accountable, Patient-Centered Point-of-Care
- The Game Changer: How to Take Control of 21st Century Health Care
- Sense, Respond, Adapt: Manage the Unpredictable in Real-Time
- Culture: Build Physician and Staff Accountability to Thrive at the Point-of-Care
- How to Create a Sense, Respond, Adapt Organization
- The Innovation Secrets of the 5%
- Centers of Value and Excellence: New Value Results
- How to Use Data to Adapt and Thrive
- Win with Agile, Adaptive Care
- Beyond Lean and Six Sigma: Adaptive Innovation as a New Healthcare Strategy
- World-Class Safety+: Satisfaction, Engagement, Financial Strength and Population Health
Dr. John Kenagy knows healthcare as a physician, executive, scholar, advisor and patient. In addition to 20 years’ experience as a vascular surgeon, he has been chief of surgery, chief of staff and regional vice president for Business Development for a multi-state, not-for-profit healthcare delivery system. And, most importantly, he has been a patient.
His frustration with current methods was fueled by an injury–he suffered a broken neck in a fall from a tree. Critically injured, he discovered that his recovery depended on the efforts of dedicated individuals working in an unpredictable and often unresponsive system. Searching for answers, he earned a management degree from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government and was a Visiting Scholar at Harvard Business School.
Kenagy’s Harvard research included developing a disruptive innovation healthcare strategy with Harvard Business School Professor Clayton Christensen and translating to healthcare the drivers for success in transformational companies like Toyota, Intel and Apple.
The result is Adaptive Design®: a set of revitalizing choices and opportunities that cultivate adaptability in the everyday work of the organization and its people. He authored DESIGNED TO ADAPT: Leading Healthcare in Challenging Times to be the guidebook to more care for less cost. Forbes Magazine stated that John Kenagy, MD, is "the man who would save healthcare".
Dr. Kenagy’s work and his new web-based, online learning course, "Experience Adaptive Design", enable everyone from the executive team to the front line to get patients exactly what they need at continually lower cost. It is the way to thrive in 21st century healthcare.
Dr. Kenagy’s contributions and accomplishments have been widely recognized, including:
- Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of Washington
- Adjunct Professor of Pharmacy and Therapeutics, University of Pittsburgh
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard Business School (1998-2002)
- Harvard University Advanced Leadership Initiative in Healthcare and Case Western
- Reserve University Weatherhead School of Business Executive Education
- Speaking and consulting engagements throughout the US and in Canada
- Testimony before the US Senate Commerce Committee
- Co-author with Clayton Christensen of the first article on disruptive innovation inhealthcare in Harvard Business Review.
- Author of “Service Quality in Health Care” in the Journal of the American Medical Association, named the Best Healthcare Management Article of the Year.
- Co-authored Harvard Business School Teaching Cases used worldwide to teach how to effectively innovate in complex, dynamic, unpredictable, competitive environments.
- Named by Forbes Magazine as "the man who would save healthcare."
Dr. Kenagy will inspire your organization to thrive in 21st Century healthcare. His customized presentations specialize in creating dynamic interactive learning that meets the needs of any organization delivering products and services in complex, unpredictable environments.
Comments from previous presentaions:
- Having the book available would have made the presentation perfect.
- This is critical thinking for the success of the reform of healthcare delivery and healthcare financing.
- Well done, good speaker. I will get his books and read them.
- Excellent speaker!
- Excellent speaker! Topic applicable beyond healthcare.
- Interesting topic, very applicable to my organization.
- Would be good to explore more concrete examples as well as examining external inhibitors (government, payers, provider advocates, tech industry)
- Dr. Kenagy's thinking is desperately needed in healthcare.
- Outstanding presentation & presenter!
For additional information regarding this speaker, please call (406) 586-8775.